October is Domestic Abuse Month
Domestic Abuse has become so prevalent, it is now considered a National Health issue. Abuse is not just being hit. Psychological abuse is considered by most abused women to be more devastating than physical abuse.
Domestic Abuse During Pregnancy
Pregnancy should be a time of joyful anticipation. Domestic abuse changes that.
If you are being abused, please find someone you trust and reach out for help. . For those of you who know and care for a victim of abuse, please learn how best to help them. (resource below) No one should live with abuse.
- 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime.
- Women experience more than 4 million physical assaults and rapes because of their p
- Women are more likely to be killed by an intimate partner than men
- Women ages 20 to 24 are at greatest risk of becoming victims of domestic violence.
- Every year, 2 in 3 women who are a victim of homicide are murdered by her current or former partner or a family member.
- Domestic violence is the third leading cause of homelessness among families, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Victims and Pregnancy
Murder is the 2nd leading cause of injury related death during pregnancy. Domestic Violence usually intensifies during pregnancy. Here is a link to a facts sheet from the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
This book, a must read, is a wonderful resource for the victim/s and those who care for them. (affiliate link)
Domestic Abuse and Children
Here is a video about how domestic abuse affects children.
Statistics Resource: Safe Horizon